Is This Man "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"?
The great American poet Wallace Stevens, author of "The Emperor of Ice-Cream" and many other famous works, was also a longtime insurance executive. While researching him for my previous post, I decided to look up what his old employer, The Hartford (formerly the Hartford Accident and Indemnity Company), is doing these days. Turns out they're insuring ice cream vendors!
"Some folks call me a rock star," says Buck Buchanan, founder of Lumpy's Ice Cream, in this recent TV ad. "Some call me The Mayor." Can't we go ahead and declare him The Emperor of Ice-Cream instead? Look at him smiling with lordly beneficence in the opening shot, folding arms as "muscular" as those of the dessert-maker in the poem. Behold the regal ease with which he flaunts his white paper crown.
Make this nickname happen, Internet literature lovers. Let the coronation proceed. Let be be finale of meme.
We're more dependent on them than we realize.
- Scientists says our survival depends on biodiversity.
- A natural climate strategy we often forget.
- Seeing our place among the Earth's living creatures.
There's a high social cost that comes with lighting up.
While short-term results are positive, there is mounting evidence against staying in ketosis for too long.
- Recent studies showed volunteers lost equal or more weight on high-carb, calorie-restricted diets than low-carb, calorie restricted diets.
- There might be positive benefits to short-term usage of a ketogenic diet.
- One dietician warns that the ketogenic diet could put diabetics at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.