Lee Smolin: The Man Who Could Change Your Mind About Everything
From Newton to Einstein to quantum physicists today, Smolin writes, "I believe--as strongly as one can believe anything in science--that they're wrong."
Time is for real, argues the theoretical physicist Lee Smolin in his new book Time Reborn. That means we need to revisit the laws that govern gravity, quantum mechanics, even space itself. "Everything we now think is fundamental will also eventually be understood as approximate and emergent," writes Smolin, who argues for a radical new approach to cosmology.
If time is not an illusion, as physicists have long believed, Smolin could change the way we think about everything. From Newton to Einstein to quantum physicists today, Smolin writes, "I believe--as strongly as one can believe anything in science--that they're wrong."
Smolin's ideas are gaining traction. "Time Reborn places reality above theory in stronger and clearer terms than ever before, and the result is a path to better theory and potentially to a better society as well," says the computer scientist Jaron Lanier. That is why the book "will no doubt be remembered as one of the essential books of the 21st century."
Smolin will be appearing in Big Think's studio for an interview. Now is your chance to submit your questions, in the comments below.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Best case: Redrawing borders leads to peace, prosperity and EU membership. But there's also a worst case.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.