The Ethical Businessman of the 21st Century
What type of ethics training do both individuals and organizations need to navigate through the ethical minefields of business in the 21st century?
What's the Big Idea?
Were the problems that led to the financial crisis of 2008 purely financial issues, or ethical issues? Consider, for instance, the practice of selling a product to someone that you know can't afford it. Or consider lending someone money that you know they won't be able to repay. Who is ultimately responsible for such practices, often referred to as "predatory lending"?
Andrew Likierman, dean of the London Business School, says that these are simply examples of questions that anyone going to business school, or starting a business of their own, will inevitably face. And some ethical training is required of us all in order to be prepared for the world of business, which can often be an ethical minefield.
After all, you might think you have the best moral and ethical compass in the world, but what if the organization you work for does not? How do you contend with the inevitable conflicts that will result?
Watch Likierman here:
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Best case: Redrawing borders leads to peace, prosperity and EU membership. But there's also a worst case.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.