One Year of Curiosity: A Look Back
Curiosity's landing on Mars - a marvel of 21st century engineering - was in and of itself probably the rover's greatest feat to date.
Curiosity's landing on Mars - a marvel of 21st century engineering - was in and of itself probably the rover's greatest accomplishment to date. After all, most missions to Mars fail, and Curiosity had to undergo a series of complex and novel procedures in order to make a safe landing on the Red Planet.
In other words, the risky $2.5 billion mission easily could have been a failure. And worse yet, NASA scientists would have to endure "seven minutes of terror" - the time that would elapse before they would know if the landing was a success or failure. We detailed the major challenges the landing had to overcome here, and it is also worth revisiting NASA's video below.
Curiosity's successful landing was a huge marketing win for NASA, and as you might recall, every movement it made was monumental and every photo it snapped was historic. But our attention has since waned. Not even the exploration of Mars can produce the kind of thrill-a-minute buzz that is required to capture our crowded attention spans.
But Curiosity has been busy, and the rover's accomplishments are many. We recommend you check out this gallery of Curiosity images and videos.
Get the latest Curiosity updates from NASA here.
Image courtesy of NASA
Sharon Salzberg, world-renowned mindfulness leader, teaches meditation at Big Think Edge.
- Try meditation for the first time with this guided lesson or, if you already practice, enjoy being guided by a world-renowned meditation expert.
- Sharon Salzberg teaches mindfulness meditation for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
The navigation tool has placed a school in the sea, among other things.
- Google has apologized for the sudden instability of its maps in Japan.
- Errors may stem from Google's long-time map data provider Zenrin – or from the cancellation of its contract.
- Speculation on the latter option caused Zenrin shares to drop 16% last Friday.
This gives credence to the 5-2 diet, which has recently gained in popularity thanks to a large celebrity following.
Chances are you're probably thinking about food right now in some capacity. Maybe it's close to dinner and you're wondering what you are going to eat. Maybe you had a really good lunch and are fondly reminiscing about your BLT, or whatnot. Or maybe, just maybe, you're thinking about not eating food for a while.
A new computer model solves a pair of Jovian riddles.
- Astronomers have wondered how a gas giant like Jupiter could sit in the middle of our solar system's planets.
- Also unexplained has been the pair of asteroid clusters in front of and behind Jupiter in its orbit.
- Putting the two questions together revealed the answer to both.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.