Is Science the One True God?
Why is the Bible so obsessed with hygiene?
John Durant, author of The Paleo Manifesto, argues for a revolutionary approach to health, based on the way humans evolved in their natural habitat. As Durant asks us to rethink many culturally ingrained lifestyle practices, he raises a number of fascinating questions, including why the is Bible so obsessed with hygiene.
This was the subject of Durant's recent talk at The Nantucket Project, a festival of ideas on Nantucket, MA.
"I don't think it's a coincidence that just as infectious disease is exploding," Durant says, "a god comes along that orders people to wash your hands."
Watch an excerpt from Durant's talk here.
The stories we tell define history. So who gets the mic in America?
- History is written by lions. But it's also recorded by lambs.
- In order to understand American history, we need to look at the events of the past as more prismatic than the narrative given to us in high school textbooks.
- Including different voices can paint a more full and vibrant portrait of America. Which is why more walks of American life can and should be storytellers.
A glass of juice has as much sugar, ounce for ounce, as a full-calorie soda. And those vitamins do almost nothing.
Quick: think back to childhood (if you've reached the scary clown you've gone too far). What did your parents or guardians give you to keep you quiet? If you're anything like most parents, it was juice. But here's the thing: juice is bad for you.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.