How do placebo pills reduce pain and even improve symptoms in Parkinson's patients?What causes fireballs to allegedly shoot from Thailand's Mekong River? And what is making that insanely annoying humming noise in Taos, New Mexico? This and other mysteries are featured in this video of 10 discoveries that science has yet to explain:
Image credit: Kitsadakron_Photography/Shutterstock
A theory from cosmology claims the Universe could rip apart to shreds.
- A cosmological model predicts that the expanding Universe could rip itself apart.
- Too much dark energy could overwhelm the forces holding matter together.
- The disaster could happen in about 22 billion years.
Researchers believe that the practice of sleeping through the whole night didn’t really take hold until just a few hundred years ago.
She was wide awake and it was nearly two in the morning. When asked if everything was alright, she said, “Yes.” Asked why she couldn’t get to sleep she said, “I don’t know.” Neuroscientist Russell Foster of Oxford might suggest she was exhibiting “a throwback to the bi-modal sleep pattern." Research suggests we used to sleep in two segments with a period of wakefulness in-between.
Researchers find an amazing amount of often-weird forms of life below the planet's surface.
- Scientists found a rich ecosystem deep inside the planet.
- The "deep biosphere" contains mostly bacteria and microbes.
- The amount of life below the surface is hundreds of times greater than the combined weight of all the humans.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.