Tutoring Cousins at Scale, Khan Academy Educates the World
From tutoring his cousin in algebra to creating an on-demand learning community that reaches millions across the globe, you could say that Salman Khan has put his Harvard MBA to good use.
Big Think Edge is a video-driven platform that catalyzes happiness and performance in professional environments by cultivating leadership, creativity, and self-knowledge. Learn more about Big Think Edge.
From tutoring his cousin in algebra to creating an on-demand learning community that reaches millions across the globe, you could say that Salman Khan has put his Harvard MBA to good use. Khan is the creator of Khan Academy, the educational organization and website that aims to provide "a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere" operating on the inspiring premise that "you can learn anything."
When Khan sat down with Big Think, he told the personal story behind the business, which Forbes called "a $1 trillion opportunity." But what appears in hindsight as an overnight success began slowly, with Khan tutoring an extended group of cousins, helping them achieve small degrees of academic success and then building that success to scale.
"I started building software for [my cousins] to make sure that they had strong foundations in things like basic arithmetic, fractions, decimals, exponents. And that software that I was making for them that gave them as much practice as they needed and solutions and a way for me as their tutor to keep track of what they were doing, that was the first incarnation of Khan Academy."
What can 3D printing do for medicine? The "sky is the limit," says Northwell Health researcher Dr. Todd Goldstein.
- Medical professionals are currently using 3D printers to create prosthetics and patient-specific organ models that doctors can use to prepare for surgery.
- Eventually, scientists hope to print patient-specific organs that can be transplanted safely into the human body.
- Northwell Health, New York State's largest health care provider, is pioneering 3D printing in medicine in three key ways.
Elon Musk took issue with recent ideas for space exploration from Jeff Bezos.
- Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos have sparred over space exploration previously.
- Musk wants to focus on Mars while Bezos has the moon and space colonies as goals.
- In a recent tweet, Musk called out Bezos's plans for space colonies as unrealistic.
If you don't want to know anything about your death, consider this your spoiler warning.
- For centuries cultures have personified death to give this terrifying mystery a familiar face.
- Modern science has demystified death by divulging its biological processes, yet many questions remain.
- Studying death is not meant to be a morbid reminder of a cruel fate, but a way to improve the lives of the living.
- Push Past Negative Self-Talk: Give Yourself the Proper Fuel to Attack the World, with David Goggins, Former NAVY SealIf you've ever spent 5 minutes trying to meditate, you know something most people don't realize: that our minds are filled, much of the time, with negative nonsense. Messaging from TV, from the news, from advertising, and from difficult daily interactions pulls us mentally in every direction, insisting that we focus on or worry about this or that. To start from a place of strength and stability, you need to quiet your mind and gain control. For former NAVY Seal David Goggins, this begins with recognizing all the negative self-messaging and committing to quieting the mind. It continues with replacing the negative thoughts with positive ones.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.