Getting equality with men: plant seeds to secure your financial future
In a just world, compensation wouldn't be a constant negotiation. In the real world, however...
- In a just world, compensation wouldn't be a constant negotiation.
- In this world, learning to negotiate on your own behalf is essential. We're here to help you do that.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge to gain a competitive advantage.
In our world, discrimination against women is made worse by the fact that men tend to overestimate their value, asking for big raises while their female colleagues remain silent. Unequal pay thus becomes even more unequal, and women's financial independence more limited than men's. While the lion's share of responsibility for equal pay lies with employers, women can significantly advance their own interests by learning to advocate for their own raises and to invest their income wisely.
Subscribe to Big Think Edge and you'll learn from Sallie Krawcheck, tireless advocate for women's equality in the workplace, which salary websites you should keep an eye on to know if you're being compensated fairly. She'll also explain why a salary gap between men and women is not "merely" an issue about the principle of equality. It affects how and when women retire, whether the money they depend on later in life will truly be theirs, and what their investment strategies will be like during high-earning years.
Sallie Krawcheck teaches "Getting Equality with Men: Plant Seeds to Secure Your Financial Future". In seven minutes, you'll come away with actionable ways to get what you want from your job — whether that's a raise, a special assignment, or more authority — and to understand more clearly why, and how, you should begin advocating on your own behalf from day 1.
Subscribe to Big Think Edge and become a champion for women.
Research in plant neurobiology shows that plants have senses, intelligence and emotions.
- The field of plant neurobiology studies the complex behavior of plants.
- Plants were found to have 15-20 senses, including many like humans.
- Some argue that plants may have awareness and intelligence, while detractors persist.
E-cigarettes may be safer than traditional cigarettes, but they come with their own risks.
- A new study used an MRI machine to examine how vaping e-cigarettes affects users' cardiovascular systems immediately after inhalation.
- The results showed that vaping causes impaired circulation, stiffer arteries and less oxygen in their blood.
- The new study adds to a growing body of research showing that e-cigarettes – while likely safer than traditional cigarettes – are far from harmless.
Since the idea of locality is dead, space itself may not be an aloof vacuum: Something welds things together, even at great distances.
- Realists believe that there is an exactly understandable way the world is — one that describes processes independent of our intervention. Anti-realists, however, believe realism is too ambitious — too hard. They believe we pragmatically describe our interactions with nature — not truths that are independent of us.
- In nature, properties of Particle B may be depend on what we choose to measure or manipulate with Particle A, even at great distances.
- In quantum mechanics, there is no explanation for this. "It just comes out that way," says Smolin. Realists struggle with this because it would imply certain things can travel faster than light, which still seems improbable.