Remind your mom that she's your rock. Give her 12 months of life-changing learning.
If the apple didn't fall far from the tree, this is a gift your mom will actually want.
- Get a 1-year subscription to Big Think Edge for your mom this Mother's Day! A subscription unlocks our premium learning platform – and it's 50% off until May 15.
- Moms have given us decades of support, but who is supporting her? Our library of world-class experts will teach her skills and lessons that make her even stronger and smarter.
When we're kids, if we're lucky, our parents teach us how to push back against self-pity, self-judgment, and defeatism. "You can do it!" they remind us. "Don't be so hard on yourself!"
The ability to recognize, contain, and reverse the tide of negative self-talk is an essential survival skill, and it's something we have to learn over and over again.
With Mother's Day approaching, we're thinking about...who else? Mom. And wondering who's there to remind her how strong and how valuable she is. If she's lucky, you're there. And if she's extra bonus lucky, so is Big Think Edge.
Now through May 15th, in honor of moms everywhere and in support of their lifelong learning, a year's subscription to Edge is 50% off. It's a priceless companion on your mom's ongoing journey. And it's almost as good company as you are!
Former Navy SEAL David Goggins teaches just one of the many life and career skills Big Think Edge offers—skills that can support your mom in achieving lifelong goals, calming anxiety, getting a second career or a side hustle on track, and much more.
Big Think Edge adds new videos every week so our subscribers can keep learning. Watch world-class doers and thinkers like podcaster and author Gretchen Rubin, actor Bryan Cranston, and Harvard professor Linda Hill teach the most important skills of the 21st century, in the palm of your hand. Here is a small glimpse of our vast library of lessons:
Offer expires May 15.
How do we combat the roots of these hateful forces?
- American Psychological Association sees a dubious and weak link between mental illness and mass shootings.
- Center for the study of Hate and Extremism has found preliminary evidence that political discourse is tied to hate crimes.
- Access to guns and violent history is still the number one statistically significant figure that predicts gun violence.
Some games are just for fun, others are for thought provoking statements on life, the universe, and everything.
- Video games are often dismissed as fun distractions, but some of them dive into deep issues.
- Through their interactive play elements, these games approach big issues intelligently and leave you both entertained and enlightened.
- These five games are certainly not the only games that cover these topics or do so well, but are a great starting point for somebody who wants to play something thought provoking.
The Amazon Rainforest is often called "the planet's lungs."
- For weeks, fires have been burning in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, likely started by farmers and ranchers.
- Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, has blamed NGOs for starting the flames, offering no evidence to support the claim.
- There are small steps you can take to help curb deforestation in the Amazon rainforest, which produces about 20 percent of the world's oxygen.