Alan Alda: Build empathy. Monitor your relationships.
Learn the art and science of building relationships at Big Think Edge.
- Learn simple exercises that are scientifically proven to boost your empathy.
- At Big Think Edge, Alan Alda shares his insights on empathy and effective communication.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge to become a better you - personally and professionally.
Empathy is a superpower for connecting and communicating with others, but it can be surprisingly fragile. Even a bad mood or preoccupied mind can easily close us off to the people – even the ones we're closest to, let alone to colleagues or strangers on the daily commute.
Noticing this, Alan Alda wondered what exercises could help bulk up his "empathy muscle" regardless of shifting circumstances. An exercise he invented became the focus of a psychological study that discovered a way to significantly increase empathy.
Alan Alda teaches "The Art and Science of Relating: Build and Monitor Empathy" for Big Think Edge.
Empathy tends to evaporate when we don't practice it. At Big Think Edge, Alan Alda teaches an immediately actionable video lesson that will teach you exercises to significantly grow your capacity for empathy.
Greater empathy is an asset whether you're looking to boost your career, inspire and connect with a team you manage, or have more peaceful and thoughtful relationships in your personal life.
Subscribe to Big Think Edge and you'll access a diverse collection of lessons taught by the world's top thinkers and doers, like Alan Alda, Malcolm Gladwell, Bryan Cranston, Linda Hill, John Cleese and Navy SEAL Rob Roy.
- The Difference Between Empathy and Compassion Is Everything ... ›
- How reading rewires your brain for more intelligence and empathy ... ›