Recruiting top talent has never been more important. When facing a shaky economy, companies need strong leadership to execute well under pressure and not give in to the temptation of quick and easy fixes.
In the latest installment of Big Think Edge, executive search expert William Clemens, of the leading recruitment firm Spencer Stuart, gives you the set of strategies you need in order to identify the best candidates for your company. Clemens highlights the importance of culture, which can't be overlooked in executive recruitment.
“The culture of the team and how it comes together, and how they fit together on the broader context of the organization and its goals, is incredibly important,” he explains. “The data has shown recently that our executives that we place, if they fail – which very rarely they do of course – it's because of the fact that they didn’t fit in culturally.”
As Clemens points out, these executives have the skills and everything else needed in order to functionally do the job. What’s lacking? The culture simply wasn’t a good fit. To find out how to screen your job candidates for cultural compatibility and hire the best leaders for your company, sign up for a free 14 day trial to Big Think Edge to take exclusive workshops from Clemens and other experts.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.