Achieve your goals: The science of productivity
Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Charles Duhigg explains how to meld ambition with reality at Big Think Edge.
- Learn to set stretch goals, create an effective to-do list, and think SMART.
- Pulitzer Prize-winner Charles Duhigg teaches the science of productivity for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge to experience mentorship like never before.
Is your to-do list killing your productivity? It's entirely possible. Most people's instinctive approach to daily goal-setting is to grab a piece of paper and jot down tasks from easiest to most resource-intensive. Psychologically, this has a "mood repair" advantage because it feels good to cross a bunch of things off your list quickly. But in terms of productivity, it's a disaster.
Subscribe to Big Think Edge and you'll learn the science of productivity from Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Charles Duhigg. Embrace the skills, mindsets and methods that will not only help you achieve your goals, but make sure you've chosen the right goals in the first place. Those who get ahead know where they're going.
One of the things that we know about the most productive people and the most productive companies is that they do a really good job at choosing the right goals. Because if you're running towards the wrong finish line, it does not matter how hard your arms are pumping. You're still moving in a bad direction.
– Charles Duhigg
Subscribe to Big Think Edge to boost your productivity and achieve your goals.
- Ideas about Goal-setting ›
- Personal Goal Setting - How to Set SMART Goals - from MindTools ... ›
- Goal Setting: A Scientific Guide to Setting and Achieving Goals ›
What can 3D printing do for medicine? The "sky is the limit," says Northwell Health researcher Dr. Todd Goldstein.
- Medical professionals are currently using 3D printers to create prosthetics and patient-specific organ models that doctors can use to prepare for surgery.
- Eventually, scientists hope to print patient-specific organs that can be transplanted safely into the human body.
- Northwell Health, New York State's largest health care provider, is pioneering 3D printing in medicine in three key ways.
Depression is quicksand, says comedian Pete Holmes. Try this method to help you cope and live with depression.
- Everyone's experience with depression is different, but for comedian Pete Holmes the key to living with depression has been to observe his own thoughts in an impartial way.
- Holmes' method, taught to him by psychologist and spiritual leader Ram Dass, is to connect to his base consciousness and think about himself and his emotions in the third person.
- You can't push depression away, but you can shift your mindset to help better cope with depression, anxiety, and negative emotions. If you feel depressed, you can connect with a crisis counselor anytime in the US.
As Game of Thrones ends, a revealing resolution to its perplexing geography.
- The fantasy world of Game of Thrones was inspired by real places and events.
- But the map of Westeros is a good example of the perplexing relation between fantasy and reality.
- Like Britain, it has a Wall in the North, but the map only really clicks into place if you add Ireland.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.