Diversity is Not About Being Different. It's About Being Dynamic.
Diversity is not just about the representation or inclusion of differences. It drives innovation and is critical for sustained growth.
The term "diversity" might be a buzz word, but it nonetheless needs to be a critical component of any business strategy. Why is this? Simply put, diversity is a driver of innovation. The world is changing rapidly. You need diverse perspectives to meet new challenges as well to understand the diversity of your customer base.
So says Kathy Hopinkah Hannan, National Managing Partner for Diversity and Corporate Social Responsibility at KPMG.
In a lesson on Big Think Edge, the only forum on YouTube designed to help you get the skills you need to be successful in a rapidly changing world, Hannan says diversity is not just about the representation or inclusion of differences. "It's not about being different," she says, "it’s about being dynamic."
Dynamic organizations are ones that are open to new ideas and look at business models very differently, Hannan says. One example of this is what Hannan calls talent sustainability. A company can secure a talent base for the future through the implementation of longer term strategic investments in the communities they operate in. These are investments in education and development, and ultimately, people. And Hannan sees these types of investments by companies accelerating.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.