Trusting your instincts is lazy: Poker pro Liv Boeree on Big Think Edge
International poker champion Liv Boeree teaches decision-making for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to make decisions with the clarity of a World Series Poker Champion.
- Liv Boeree teaches analytical thinking for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge to experience the best learning online.
"Trust your instincts!" "Go with your gut!" These popular nuggets of advice appeal to something deep in our nature—a distaste for unresolved complexity. We want solutions, and we want them fast. The trouble is, our brains are notoriously bad at making quick decisions.
Subscribe to Big Think Edge and you'll learn from Liv Boeree, World Series Poker Champion and a sharp thinker under extreme pressure, what it takes to make a good decision and boost your analytical 'system 2' brain.
In her "Use intuition as a last resort" lesson for Big Think Edge, Boeree teaches the limits of what your gut instinct can tell you, and how to sharpen your decision-making skills with lessons from poker that can be extrapolated into any area of life and work. If you ever wanted to know what it's like inside the mind of a World Series Poker Champion, who is also the 5th highest grossing female poker player of all time and has a degree in physics, this is your chance.
Subscribe to Big Think Edge to sharpen your analytical tool kit and make better decisions, faster.
- 5 Tips for Better Decision Making | Psychology Today ›
- 9 Habits That Make You a Better Decision Maker ›
- Five Tips for Making Better Decisions ›
What can 3D printing do for medicine? The "sky is the limit," says Northwell Health researcher Dr. Todd Goldstein.
- Medical professionals are currently using 3D printers to create prosthetics and patient-specific organ models that doctors can use to prepare for surgery.
- Eventually, scientists hope to print patient-specific organs that can be transplanted safely into the human body.
- Northwell Health, New York State's largest health care provider, is pioneering 3D printing in medicine in three key ways.
Elon Musk took issue with recent ideas for space exploration from Jeff Bezos.
- Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos have sparred over space exploration previously.
- Musk wants to focus on Mars while Bezos has the moon and space colonies as goals.
- In a recent tweet, Musk called out Bezos's plans for space colonies as unrealistic.
If you don't want to know anything about your death, consider this your spoiler warning.
- For centuries cultures have personified death to give this terrifying mystery a familiar face.
- Modern science has demystified death by divulging its biological processes, yet many questions remain.
- Studying death is not meant to be a morbid reminder of a cruel fate, but a way to improve the lives of the living.
- Push Past Negative Self-Talk: Give Yourself the Proper Fuel to Attack the World, with David Goggins, Former NAVY SealIf you've ever spent 5 minutes trying to meditate, you know something most people don't realize: that our minds are filled, much of the time, with negative nonsense. Messaging from TV, from the news, from advertising, and from difficult daily interactions pulls us mentally in every direction, insisting that we focus on or worry about this or that. To start from a place of strength and stability, you need to quiet your mind and gain control. For former NAVY Seal David Goggins, this begins with recognizing all the negative self-messaging and committing to quieting the mind. It continues with replacing the negative thoughts with positive ones.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.