Gen. McChrystal: What Fighting Al Qaeda Taught Me About Running a Business
It turns out that modern warfare has quite a lot in common with modern business.
Big Think Edge is a video-driven platform that catalyzes happiness and performance in professional environments by cultivating leadership, creativity, and self-knowledge. Learn more about Big Think Edge.
General Stanley McChrystal had to learn on his feet while fighting Al Qaeda in Iraq. This was a new kind of warfare, with an enemy whose command structure was distributed rather than centralized. Used to a much more hierarchical command structure where leadership distributed information in a tightly controlled way, the U.S. Army had to learn — quickly — to adapt.
The new, successful approach General McChrystal developed, a "Team of Teams," relied on a few key principles. Upon returning to civilian life, McChrystal discovered that these principles applied perfectly to the new challenges businesses face in our more fluid global economy. Companies were hungry to learn his secrets. Broadly speaking they are:
These secrets, and more, form the basis of our Big Think Edge course on building teams in 21st century businesses:
Learn more about Big Think Edge and our masterclass on building teams in 21st century businesses. The masterclass will feature military leaders including Rob Roy, Chris Fussell, Stanley McChrystal, and Eric Greitens.
We're more dependent on them than we realize.
- Scientists says our survival depends on biodiversity.
- A natural climate strategy we often forget.
- Seeing our place among the Earth's living creatures.
There's a high social cost that comes with lighting up.
While short-term results are positive, there is mounting evidence against staying in ketosis for too long.
- Recent studies showed volunteers lost equal or more weight on high-carb, calorie-restricted diets than low-carb, calorie restricted diets.
- There might be positive benefits to short-term usage of a ketogenic diet.
- One dietician warns that the ketogenic diet could put diabetics at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.