PopularSurprising SciencePersonal GrowthMind & BrainSex & RelationshipsTechnology & InnovationCulture & ReligionPolitics & Current Affairs
Three new lessons and experts join Big Think's premium video learning platform, Big Think Edge.
27 August, 2019
- In this week's trio of Big Think Edge videos, it's all about mastery, whether you want to be a master explainer, master presenter, or a master problem-solver.
- A great explanation can only come from a deep understanding of your topic, says Mihir Desai. Want your slide shows to excel? Nancy Duarte's got your strategy. That mind-boggling problem won't be so impossible to resolve once you distill it to its essence, says Po-Shen Loh.
- If you're not a subscriber yet, join Big Think Edge today! Our back to school sale is on right now, so you can get 30% off a subscription.
Keep reading Show less
When academics and journalists forego sharing their findings, out of intimidation, we all lose out.
13 November, 2019
- Academic freedom is what makes a university space work as a setting to develop students' capacities. It is the permission to think freely, and have contrarian discussions, that leads to new insights.
- There are whole zones of knowledge that we never get to because of intimidation put on academics: "We simply don't know what we haven't even thought to ask."
- Self-censorship, especially regarding sensitive topics, is the dark matter of the academic freedom universe. Out of fear of being attacked, or their families being harmed, some journalists and scholars will forego publishing their findings.
- The opinions expressed in this video do not necessarily reflect the views of the Charles Koch Foundation, which encourages the expression of diverse viewpoints within a culture of civil discourse and mutual respect.
education learning teaching society iraq activism global issues syria robert quinn sponsored ckf charles koch foundation