For starters, let's just clear up a couple of definitions. According to Merriam Webster: atheist: noun; one who believes there is no deity.
church: noun; a building for public, and especially Christian worship.
Ok, now this is in reference to an idea by Daniel Dennett where he made reference to atheists needing churches. (search his name if you need to catch up) Mr. Dennett used the word "church" for lack of a better term to describe a public building for people who don't believe in a god to get together. Here's what I believe to be the main thrust of Mr. Dennett's idea. What if we had a place (and by we I mean everyone) where we could gather one day a week. We'll pick Sunday because I've heard some people already do that. This building would be large enough to accomodate a good number of people. The only criteria for gaining entrance is to be a person. You keep your atheism or thiesm, and any other "ism's" to yourself. Identify the needs of individuals as well as the community as a whole, and use logic and reason to solve them. Hell, even talk about 8 of the ten commandments, but call them something else. Pool financial and other resources when neccesary. Get it? It's like being a good Christian without the worship.
Refrain from the comments stating you can't be a good Christian without worship. I know what you're thinking, and you know what I mean.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.