are we too short-sighted?
Don't you think that mankind is becoming increasingly short-sighted?
Sometimes I suspect that most of our problems come from the fact that we can't see any perspective longer than few weeks or months.
Take global warming: rationality should push us to reduce our consumption in order to preserve life. Why don't we do it, as it's so logical?
Because I suspect we are not interested in what will happen in longer horizon than our life, or even in few years. Why are we not interested in the future anymore? No past no futre, only present exists.
Finally: I think it sounds tragically funny that the longer our life expectation, the shorter our relevant horizon
The ability to speak clearly, succinctly, and powerfully is easier than you think
The ability to communicate effectively can make or break a person's assessment of your intelligence, competence, and authenticity.
The next gold rush might take place in our sewers.
- Even though we think of it as exceedingly rare, gold can be found all around us.
- The trouble is, most of the gold is hard to get at; its too diluted in our waste or ocean waters to effectively extract.
- This new technique quickly, easily, and reliably extracts gold from most liquids.
Facing mounting pressure from the public and government agencies, the e-cigarette maker announced major changes to its business model on Tuesday.
- Juul makes flavored e-cigarettes and currently dominates the vaping industry, with 70% of the market share.
- The FDA is planning to ban the sale of flavored e-cigarettes in gas stations and convenient stores this week.
- Some have called teenage vaping an epidemic. Data from 2018 show that about 20% of high school students had used an e-cigarette in the past 30 days.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.