Are We Islands?
Incresingly, it seems like we're moving away from the ideas of family, society, collective responsibility. We're moving more and more toward individuality. Every man for himself. I comes before U. We don't look to each other for support. We look at each other as competition. Instead of helping each other, we're jealous, self-involved, scared, fighting, greedy. Sharing is out. Hoarding is in. Enough is out. More-than-enough is in. Saving is out. Spending is in.
(Assuming this is actually happening) why is this happening? I'll offer two possible factors: the government's love of the corporation, the rise of consumerism.
Why is this happening?
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.