Are people intrinsically good?
People have the capability to do horrible things as well as do beautiful and selfless things, but what are we programmed to do??
Well, it is safe to say that we are social beings. At some point in time we realized that we could get a lot more done with the help of others. When people were migrating as hunter gatherers, we ran around in tribes allocating duties to eachother to make it easier to stay alive. I think this point is huge. Everything wants to survive. Not just human beings but animals as well. If it is aware, it wants to stick around for the show. That being said, people will do what they have to, to do so. Fight or flight. Kill or be killed. Very primal. Now, we as humans have another aspect to put into play which is our emotions and personal feelings we have toward eachother. Love and friendship is an aspect of life that we would all fight to protect. So if your tribe messes with my tribe, then I'm looking to take your tribe down, so my tribe can live and experience this thing we call life.
Some say it changed when we decided it would be a good idea to settle down and create society. This eventually turned into the supressed verse the surpressors. Because once you have, and get used to a certain life, it becomes much harder to want to share it with those who didn't "earn it". not that anybody earned it. life is a gift and we all have the right to enjoy that gift without being subjected to the influence of others. but on the otherhand if we don't deal with others then it becomes harder to survive on our own let alone make progress to a potentially BETTER life.
That to is another issue is our intrinsic need to want. nothing is ever enough. we can always imagine better. and it is our struggle with the perfection of thought and ideas vs. the flawed actuality that we all have to live in and struggle to get through.
It was once said that "Laziness is the mother of all invention." All people want to do is sit back and enjoy the beauty of life without having to work hard for it. Enjoy friends and family and all of the awesomeness that comes with living, without having to deal with the hardships of work or loss. It is this struggle, along with our inherent need to survive that leads us to do things that we might not see as optimal or the most pious.
So are people naturally violent??? I say no. What ever has the capibility to love and share and be selfless for those we hold dear, is something that is intrinsically good.
But when put into the crazy world where only the strong survive, I'll kill you before I give up what I love.
In my opinion were good people in a ruthless world.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.