Are humans all cerated equally?
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others."
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
Is egalitarianism true, or is it nothing more than a mere fallacy? Our socioeconomic status alone does not have everything to do with our equality, however, it sets a good example. Some people are born into wealthy families while, on the other hand, others are born into middle-class or poor families. Are we truly equal? One may think "Well, you can always climb the pyramid through hard work and determination", but what if you simply can't? For example, let's say one is handicapped and is born into a poor family. How does he or she rise? She can't. And here there is my point. Perhaps some people are more equal than others. What are your thoughts?
Sharon Salzberg, world-renowned mindfulness leader, teaches meditation at Big Think Edge.
- Try meditation for the first time with this guided lesson or, if you already practice, enjoy being guided by a world-renowned meditation expert.
- Sharon Salzberg teaches mindfulness meditation for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
The navigation tool has placed a school in the sea, among other things.
- Google has apologized for the sudden instability of its maps in Japan.
- Errors may stem from Google's long-time map data provider Zenrin – or from the cancellation of its contract.
- Speculation on the latter option caused Zenrin shares to drop 16% last Friday.
Both panoramic and detailed, this infographic manages to show both the size and distribution of world religions.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
A new computer model solves a pair of Jovian riddles.
- Astronomers have wondered how a gas giant like Jupiter could sit in the middle of our solar system's planets.
- Also unexplained has been the pair of asteroid clusters in front of and behind Jupiter in its orbit.
- Putting the two questions together revealed the answer to both.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.