Are All Places the Same?
V.S. Naipaul in "The Enigma of Arrival" expressed his belief that all places are the same. Christopher Isherwood had one of his fictional characters express the same belief. Do you agree? As for myself, when I moved to a new home only about 30 miles from my previous home of 22 years, I found that my life changed more than I ever would have expected. And after I spent 2 years in a foreign country, the culture shock was still as pronounced as at the beginning of my stay. Perhaps for some people, such as exiles, all places feel the same because they carry so much of the homeland inside that they never become part of another country. Perhaps others just feel at home wherever they are and are easily able to adapt and assimilate.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Protected animals are feared to be headed for the black market.
New research identifies an unexpected source for some of earth's water.
- A lot of Earth's water is asteroidal in origin, but some of it may come from dissolved solar nebula gas.
- Our planet hides majority of its water inside: two oceans in the mantle and 4–5 in the core.
- New reason to suspect that water is abundant throughout the universe.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.