Anesthesia for cosmetic surgery can (and must) be safer than it is currently
For expediency, general anesthesia is the most common form of anesthesia provided for elective cosmetic surgery. Local anesthesia is typically injected prior to the incision. Unfortunately, the pain of the local anesthesia is transmitted to the brain. This is why scientific (or Level) I studies have failed to document preemptive analgesia.
After providing a sleep level of propofol measured with a brain activity monitor, a dissociative dose of ketamine does block the transmission of the pain signals to the brain and does provide reproducible preemptive analgesia.
There are no Level I studies of dissociative technique. However, the object of those studies to assure reproducibility. As long as the BIS is below 75 prior to injection of ketamine, preemptive analgesia (without the historically reported negative side effects) occurs.
This is a major paradigm shift. It can provide increased safety for cosmetic surgery beyond that provided by general anesthesia.
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
The real Game of Thrones might be who best leverages the hit HBO show to shape political narratives.
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren argues that Game of Thrones is primarily about women in her review of the wildly popular HBO show.
- Warren also touches on other parallels between the show and our modern world, such as inequality, political favoritism of the elite, and the dire impact of different leadership styles on the lives of the people.
- Her review serves as another example of using Game of Thrones as a political analogy and a tool for framing political narratives.
A new study shows that some men's reaction to sex is not what you'd expect, resulting in a condition previously observed in women.
- Climate change is no longer a financial problem, just a political one.
- Mitigating climate change by decarbonizing our economy would add trillions of dollars in new investments.
- Public attitudes toward climate change have shifted steadily in favor of action. Now it's up to elected leaders.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.