An Average Citizen
For the common mass...
I’m the clerk at the convenience store.
I work long hours, sweating underneath your car hood.
I struggle to support my family,
Working hard to achieve the plan for the man.
I’m the fellow who’s the common laborer,
Digging ditches for minimum wage,
Keeping the flow free for societies’ page.
I pave the state highway and county road
So you can drive to places you want to go.
I’m the down-on-his-luck guy at the intersection holding a sign,
"Will work for food or money."
I’m the homeless person who wants a place to call home
With hot and cold water; with clothes that smell clean and fresh.
We’re the men and women who cook and wait tables.
In this society, we’re considered the average citizen.
We’re the common Joe and Rosie...The people next door
Who farm the Earth; Toil the burden; Harvest the crops;
Who suffer the injustices and moralities’ foes.
We vote as we see fit …
We paid our dues.
We feed the world; teach the children; educate the ignorant.
We fight the battles;
We die in the wars;
We bury our dead;
We play and sing the blues.
We’re the people who ride the bus and fly coach;
Who eat supper from the fast food drive-thru lane.
We save the coupons;
We shop for sales;
We roam the flea markets;
We buy no-name brands of canned food.
We’re the Majority;
We’re the people who vote and change unjust laws.
We’re the victims of prejudice, hate and malevolence.
We’re the ones who speak for and against;
Who say little but do much.
We help people in times of crisis;
We give our blood, food and money to those in dire need.
We’re the bonding flesh and sinew of democracy …
An average citizen.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.