An Average Citizen
For the common mass...
I’m the clerk at the convenience store.
I work long hours, sweating underneath your car hood.
I struggle to support my family,
Working hard to achieve the plan for the man.
I’m the fellow who’s the common laborer,
Digging ditches for minimum wage,
Keeping the flow free for societies’ page.
I pave the state highway and county road
So you can drive to places you want to go.
I’m the down-on-his-luck guy at the intersection holding a sign,
"Will work for food or money."
I’m the homeless person who wants a place to call home
With hot and cold water; with clothes that smell clean and fresh.
We’re the men and women who cook and wait tables.
In this society, we’re considered the average citizen.
We’re the common Joe and Rosie...The people next door
Who farm the Earth; Toil the burden; Harvest the crops;
Who suffer the injustices and moralities’ foes.
We vote as we see fit …
We paid our dues.
We feed the world; teach the children; educate the ignorant.
We fight the battles;
We die in the wars;
We bury our dead;
We play and sing the blues.
We’re the people who ride the bus and fly coach;
Who eat supper from the fast food drive-thru lane.
We save the coupons;
We shop for sales;
We roam the flea markets;
We buy no-name brands of canned food.
We’re the Majority;
We’re the people who vote and change unjust laws.
We’re the victims of prejudice, hate and malevolence.
We’re the ones who speak for and against;
Who say little but do much.
We help people in times of crisis;
We give our blood, food and money to those in dire need.
We’re the bonding flesh and sinew of democracy …
An average citizen.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
It's one of the most consistent patterns in the unviverse. What causes it?
- Spinning discs are everywhere – just look at our solar system, the rings of Saturn, and all the spiral galaxies in the universe.
- Spinning discs are the result of two things: The force of gravity and a phenomenon in physics called the conservation of angular momentum.
- Gravity brings matter together; the closer the matter gets, the more it accelerates – much like an ice skater who spins faster and faster the closer their arms get to their body. Then, this spinning cloud collapses due to up and down and diagonal collisions that cancel each other out until the only motion they have in common is the spin – and voila: A flat disc.
It's not just a case of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
- A new study suggests children who endure trauma grow up to be adults with more empathy than others.
- The effect is not universal, however. Only one kind of empathy was greatly effected.
- The study may lead to further investigations into how people cope with trauma and lead to new ways to help victims bounce back.
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.