to a greater or lesser degree... It seems obvious when you analyse what claims the faithful have to accept with absolutely no evidence to back them up. It seems that if the brainwashing is subtle enough, in an environment where tacit support is ubiquitous, then not even the blessed washed are aware of how clean their cereberal cortex sparkles.
This begs the question, can every brain be washed, or only particular brains? Why are some brains more succeptible than others? Psychologists have commented on the link to hypnosis in the techniques of the faith healers of the world, and many preachers use the same tools.... ritual, repetiton, cadence, lighting, music... to create an environment where fanciful leaps of logic are accepted without question. How do thinking people disable so successfully that part of their brain where critical thinking would see the inherent paradox in every religious model known? It's a powerful, remarkable and frustrating phenomena. I think neuroscience will eventually answer all of the above.... but will we then vaccinate against the 'god' gene? If we object to other delusions and irrationalities then I hope we do.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.