to a greater or lesser degree... It seems obvious when you analyse what claims the faithful have to accept with absolutely no evidence to back them up. It seems that if the brainwashing is subtle enough, in an environment where tacit support is ubiquitous, then not even the blessed washed are aware of how clean their cereberal cortex sparkles.
This begs the question, can every brain be washed, or only particular brains? Why are some brains more succeptible than others? Psychologists have commented on the link to hypnosis in the techniques of the faith healers of the world, and many preachers use the same tools.... ritual, repetiton, cadence, lighting, music... to create an environment where fanciful leaps of logic are accepted without question. How do thinking people disable so successfully that part of their brain where critical thinking would see the inherent paradox in every religious model known? It's a powerful, remarkable and frustrating phenomena. I think neuroscience will eventually answer all of the above.... but will we then vaccinate against the 'god' gene? If we object to other delusions and irrationalities then I hope we do.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
We take fewer mental pictures per second.
- Recent memories run in our brains like sped-up old movies.
- In childhood, we capture images in our memory much more quickly.
- The complexities of grownup neural pathways are no match for the direct routes of young brains.
It's not just a case of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
- A new study suggests children who endure trauma grow up to be adults with more empathy than others.
- The effect is not universal, however. Only one kind of empathy was greatly effected.
- The study may lead to further investigations into how people cope with trauma and lead to new ways to help victims bounce back.
It's one of the most consistent patterns in the unviverse. What causes it?
- Spinning discs are everywhere – just look at our solar system, the rings of Saturn, and all the spiral galaxies in the universe.
- Spinning discs are the result of two things: The force of gravity and a phenomenon in physics called the conservation of angular momentum.
- Gravity brings matter together; the closer the matter gets, the more it accelerates – much like an ice skater who spins faster and faster the closer their arms get to their body. Then, this spinning cloud collapses due to up and down and diagonal collisions that cancel each other out until the only motion they have in common is the spin – and voila: A flat disc.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.