PBS: The Most Trusted Source in Science?
Along with scientific journals, Americans rate public broadcasting as one of the most credible sources for information about biotechnology.
Yesterday I noted data that reveals the PBS NOVA audience to be unique in its nature. Indeed, if a company or organization wants to reach a core audience of science enthusiasts and influentials, this might be the best outlet to be featured at or to sponsor.
What makes PBS an ideal outlet is not just the nature of its audience, but also the public's trust in public broadcasting as an information source about science.
Consider the findings from a 2005 survey highlighted in the recent 2008 NSF Science Indicators report (click on Figure 7-16). According to the survey:
When Americans were asked in 2005 about their views on the credibility of information sources about biotechnology, a clear hierarchy of trust emerged starting at the top with scientific journals (almost 60% of respondents said they trusted journals as credible information ), followed by university scientists who are funded by government (50%), public television (50%), government scientists (40%), the WHO (40%), university scientists funded by industry (35%), biotechnology company scientists (30%), religious leaders (20%), TV networks (18%), biotechnology executives (15%), print media (15%), and political leaders (10%)
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.