Matt Damon: Right Message, Wrong Messenger
A lot of people are talking and blogging about Matt Damon's comments on the Sarah Palin choice for vice president (above). But here is the problem:
It's the right frame and message on Palin but Damon is the wrong messenger. When Hollywood celebrities speak out on the election it energizes some young people and the liberal base, but Damon's comments are immediately undercut as just the latest "Hollywood elitist" savaging middle American values. In short, his comments help feed the narrative that McCain is using against Obama.
It's even more of a self-inflicted wound when you get comments like those from Pamela Anderson that Palin can "go suck it." See the clip from Morning Joe on MSNBC on how these celebrity comments are translated in popular perceptions and discourse.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.