A Mathematician On Why Belief in God Doesn't Add Up
Here we go again...another book telling us why religious belief is illogical. Shocker!
But this time it's from one of my favorite writers, John Allen Paulos. It will be interesting to see how Paulos frames his publicity campaign and what lessons might be learned from the Dawkins case. Neil deGrasse Tyson blurbs the book, so perhaps it's an improvement over the New Atheist preferred style of attacks and complaints.
It makes you wonder though, how many books confirming and reinforcing our beliefs can us atheists and skeptics read before we get bored? Ideology has a voracious appetite so don't expect this book publishing trend to go away anytime soon, but also don't expect another best-seller.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
In his final years, Martin Luther King, Jr. become increasingly focused on the problem of poverty in America.
- Despite being widely known for his leadership role in the American civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, Jr. also played a central role in organizing the Poor People's Campaign of 1968.
- The campaign was one of the first to demand a guaranteed income for all poor families in America.
- Today, the idea of a universal basic income is increasingly popular, and King's arguments in support of the policy still make a good case some 50 years later.
10 of the most sandbagging, red-herring, and effective logical fallacies.
- Many an otherwise-worthwhile argument has been derailed by logical fallacies.
- Sometimes these fallacies are deliberate tricks, and sometimes just bad reasoning.
- Avoiding these traps makes disgreeing so much better.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- Creating a more connected world and indexing the world's information: what could be better than that?
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.