Absolute Faith Leads to Fundamentalism
Absolute faith in anything is bad. When people put absolute faith in something and a question arises that challenges that faith, people become irrational and immoral in an attempt to squash that challenge. This leads not only to religious fundamentalism, but also political fundamentalism.
The most obvious example is Islamic fundamentalism, which has given itself the mission of destroying every person on Earth that questions its faith. Another example would be Russian communism. They had so much faith that their leadership would lead to Marx's promised utopia, that when it didn't happen, they turned to violence and massacre against the people to make it happen.
I can't think of any accomplishment in human history that could not have been accomplished without absolute faith. You don't need to have complete doubt to have some doubt, and you can still have faith, even with some doubt. That is the basis for reason
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.