Absolute Faith Leads to Fundamentalism
Absolute faith in anything is bad. When people put absolute faith in something and a question arises that challenges that faith, people become irrational and immoral in an attempt to squash that challenge. This leads not only to religious fundamentalism, but also political fundamentalism.
The most obvious example is Islamic fundamentalism, which has given itself the mission of destroying every person on Earth that questions its faith. Another example would be Russian communism. They had so much faith that their leadership would lead to Marx's promised utopia, that when it didn't happen, they turned to violence and massacre against the people to make it happen.
I can't think of any accomplishment in human history that could not have been accomplished without absolute faith. You don't need to have complete doubt to have some doubt, and you can still have faith, even with some doubt. That is the basis for reason
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
New research identifies an unexpected source for some of earth's water.
- A lot of Earth's water is asteroidal in origin, but some of it may come from dissolved solar nebula gas.
- Our planet hides majority of its water inside: two oceans in the mantle and 4–5 in the core.
- New reason to suspect that water is abundant throughout the universe.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.