About: Idea Ratings
While Big Think is an open community, it is also a meritocratic and democratic one. We want to find the best ideas out there, the ones that get you to think about something in an intriguing new way. We don’t care whether it comes from a theoretical physicist or a stay-at-home mom; we just want it to be thought-provoking and incisive.\n\nWhen you see a response, take a moment to rate it. Was it very interesting? Kind of interesting? Only so-so, or totally irrelevant to the issue at hand? The best ideas will then float to the top of the "Most Popular" ideas list.\n
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.