A Mini History of the E.U.
As Europeans mark the days until they head to the polls, voters and overseas observers alike can take a moment to polish their understanding of one of the world's largest legislatures.
The E.U. is the most complicated political organization the world has ever seen, with countless confusing interrelationships and institutions - of which the European Parliament, which E.U. citizens get to vote for this week, just one part of a vast organization. Little wonder, then, that hardly anyone understands how the damned thing works.
The following video is certainly simplistic, but is nonetheless a handy introduction to how the various parts of the E.U. fit together, who does what, where our elected representatives in the European Parliament (and, of course, in the Council) fit in to the equation, and even some of the problems of the current system for the scrutiny of E.U. legislation. If you're unsure of why the European Parliament matters, this is well worth a few minutes of your time.
J Clive Matthews, aka, Nosemonkey, follows European affairs at EUtopia.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- There are 2 different approaches to governing free speech on college campuses.
- One is a morality/order approach. The other is a bottom-up approach.
- Emily Chamlee-Wright says there are many benefits to having no one central authority on what is appropriate speech.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
- Economist Sylvia Ann Hewlett breaks down what qualities will inspire others to believe in you.
- Here's how 300 leaders and 4,000 mid-level managers described someone with executive presence.
- Get more deep insights like these to power your career forward. Join Big Think Edge.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.