Roubini Fiddles While America Burns
Does everyone need to suffer? Should an image of Nouriel Roubini as standard-level modelizer trouble us? Probably not. As much as we might like the idea of him holed up in his—economics laboratory?—minding the meltdown and writing his Roubini Global Monitor posts, Wise Men have proved through the ages that there’s no direct correlation between interest in women and effectiveness as global leaders.
Rather, au contraire examples are too myriad and obvious to mention.
Yet the image described here (thanks, Gawker) of Slim, Paulson, Ferguson and Roubini having such fun, avec femmes, is a provocative ideological set piece. The imagined combination of mathematical genius and cocktails would make Tom Stoppard smile. Et in Arcadia ego, indeed.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.