HIV/AIDS Prevention Takes One Step Forward And Two Steps Back
After famously testifying he once took a shower to reduce the risk of contracting HIV, Jacob Zuma has ascended to the presidency of South Africa. This stands as cause for concern.
As if the shower episode wasn't enough, shortly after his inauguration, Zuma replaced the governement's respected (female) health minister with a former provincial education administrator. The move rightly worried those concerned about South Africa’s AIDS epidemic which is among the worst in Africa.
Meanwhile, the Ubuntu Education Fund and its founder, Jacob Lief, are on a mission to rehabilitate the lives of South African orphans and rape victims. Ubuntu has reached over 40,000 children since 1999, and now with the support of the Clinton Global Initiative Ubuntu focuses increasingly on supporting children orphaned by HIV/AIDS.
Africa doesn’t always see eye-to-eye with Western strategies of AIDS prevention such as condom use. African clergy have even supported Pope Benedict’s comments that condoms are not Africa’s answer.
The Ubuntu Fund offers the kind of early education that Zuma—sheepherder cum President—unfortunately lacked and should be emphasized in his country’s struggle against HIV/AIDS.
Ask President Zuma AIDS-related questions at expand=1]his Facebook page.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
The best-selling author tells us his methods.
- James Patterson has sold 300 million copies of his 130 books, making him one of the most successful authors alive today.
- He talks about how some writers can overdo it by adding too much research, or worse, straying from their outline for too long.
- James' latest book, The President is Missing, co-written with former President Bill Clinton, is out now.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
It's the first time the association hasn't hired a comedian in 16 years.
- The 2018 WHCA ended in controversy after comedian Michelle Wolf made jokes some considered to be offensive.
- The WHCA apologized for Wolf's jokes, though some journalists and many comedians backed the comedian and decried arguments in favor of limiting the types of speech permitted at the event.
- Ron Chernow, who penned a bestselling biography of Alexander Hamilton, will speak at next year's dinner.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.