Helen Thomas: Stenographer with Attitude
A funny satire on the Helen Thomas story jokes that Ari Fleisher, who appeared on cable news shows to condemn Thomas, is, politically speaking, a completely irrelevant person. But when did Thomas' opinions begin to make waves? It seemed before this, when she has actually said things of substance, she was the butt of everyone's misogynist and ageist jokes. So why does putting your foot in your mouth make everyone take you more seriously?
Once current events reminded me that Helen Thomas is indeed alive, I didn’t think much of it. Michael Young at Beirut’s Daily Star thinks that journalists, Thomas included, are often little more than stenographers with attitude. I’m inclined to agree. Journalists are conduits for information that need to be angry enough not to get taken advantage of by Power. There are other things, but being angry and covetous of one’s pride are important journalistic standards. The more mild-mannered, politically correct journalists we demand, the more passively we will begin to consume information fed to us by the hand of Power.
Robert was perhaps the first to say he appreciated Thomas’ obnoxious character. It is telling that so many news outlets have taken Thomas’ outburst on Jews as the extent of her opinion about the Israel/Palestine mess, especially since Thomas has explained her positions more fully in several written and video interviews which are part of the public record. At the 4:08 point in this Real News interview, Thomas draws on her decades of reporting experience to make clear her thoughts on the Middle East. She recently gave an interview to Vice Magazine, too, in which she demonstrates her thoughts do not fit neatly into a thirty second clip.
As Paul Jay points out, what Thomas said was not anti-Semitic, nor is she (likely) an anti-Semitic person. As I am about to point out, I doubt she was unfairly pressured into retiring. I bet the old Betty got one word of the controversy caused by her comments on Israel, let go some curse words at the silliness of it all, and quit with a flourish.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.