Enter the Lumina Prize! A search for the next big idea in education.
Lumina Foundation is partnering with Big Think to unearth the next large-scale, rapid innovation in post-high school education. Enter the competition here!
Finland and the U.S. have chosen opposing answers to the question of how much standardized testing is too much.
- Imperial China developed the first standardized tests for bureaucratic hopefuls.
- Finland has all but done away with standardized tests, and its education system remains one of the best in the world.
- The United States relies heavily on these tests and scores lower than Finland in academic rigor, yet provides a more balanced educational system for boys and girls, as well as immigrants
He's enflamed conversation about socialism across America.
- U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders has been calling himself a democratic socialist since the 1960s.
- Bernie's use of the word "socialist" has attracted both love and ire from the left.
- His definition of socialism is vague, but is the basis for many peoples' understanding of the concept.
Are Americans growing more skeptical of promises of investment from massive (digital) companies?
- Amazon had spent years on a controversial campaign to select cities where it plans to build giant corporate campuses.
- In November, the retail giant announced plans to build its so-called HQ2 in Virginia and New York.
- On Thursday, Amazon cancelled its plans to build in New York following backlash from local lawmakers, union leaders, and protestors.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.