CSAs For Fruits De Mer
A friend of mine, who works in the sustainable food industry, was alarmed by my recent post on overfishing. Not alarmed to learn about the demise of marine ecosystems (she already knows all that), but alarmed by my lugubrious tone. What I’d intended to accomplish with the post was to add my voice to the cacophony of people talking, shouting, and debating the extent to which we’ve overfished the seas, and what we can do about it. What I’d actually done, she worried, was make the whole scenario seem overwhelmingly gloomy and doomy. Not – I agree with her here – the greatest catalyst for change.
How about naming a few specific examples of measures already being taken to stop overfishing, she suggested? How about CSFs?
CS whats, I asked?
CSFs, she said. Like community supported agriculture (CSA) organizations (those groups you can sign up for that deliver a box of locally, sustainably grown produce to your door once a week or month), but for seafood. CSFs – though each operates according to its own fishing ethics – attempt to meet the growing demand for locally, sustainably caught fish.
This friend, ahead-of-the-wave as she is, already belongs to a CSF called Cape Ann Fresh Catch, though the trend only really got going a year or so ago. Each week, she visits her local designated pick up spot, and collects that week’s fresh catch as well as suggested recipes. So far, this season, she’s raved about the CSFs haddock, cod, pollock, and hake.
Solutions, solutions, solutions.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.