Understanding Exponential Growth from a Cosmic Perspective
We’re at a pivotal moment and our decisions today really could make a difference for thousands of years.
Exponential growth can be eased out of rather than ended, but only if we foresee it.
The thing is, if you have a big concept of how things work, you can understand how our current time fits into it. But if all you have in your mind is our current time, you just don’t understand what any of the options are.
And you also don’t understand the value of the fact that we’re at a pivotal moment and that our decisions today really could make a difference for thousands of years.
60 Second Reads is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Science and the squishiness of the human mind. The joys of wearing whatever the hell you want, and so much more.
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.