Goals Are What Help You Get Satisfaction
If you look at life satisfaction and what makes people satisfied with their lives, most of it has a lot to do with people’s goals.
If you look at life satisfaction and what makes people satisfied with their lives, most of it has a lot to do with people’s goals. So when we ask people how important money is to them when they are 18 and we look at their income at age 45, we find that the people that said at age 18 that money didn’t matter to them very much, at age 45 money still doesn’t matter to them very much. So the correlation between their income and their satisfaction with life is really very low.
The people who said the money is very important to them, those who have made a lot of money are really quite satisfied with their lives and those who didn’t make a lot of money are really quite miserable. So goals are very important to life satisfaction. Also being educated is good for life satisfaction. High income - the more the merrier - is good for life satisfaction.
For emotional happiness, it’s quite different. I would say the main thing is social. The main source of emotional misery is loneliness and the main source of emotional happiness is spending time with people you love, so they are really quite different.
60 Second Reads is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.
- Human beings are psychologically hardwired to fear differences
- Several recent studies show evidence that digital spaces exacerbate the psychology which contributes to tribalism
- Shared experiences of awe, such as space travel, or even simple shared meals, have surprising effectives for uniting opposing groups
How to talk to kids responsibly about drugs.
- The majority of kids are going to experiment with drugs at some point in their lives, mostly in their teens and early 20s.
- While many parents might balk at allowing their children to experiment, it's important to remember that not all drugs are the same.
- There are some warning signs,, however. Neuroscience journalist Maia Szalavitz walks us through some of the signs to look out for.
There are many ways to posit the fundamental nature of reality.
- After thousands of years, and an infinite amount of novel experiences, there are today many dueling schools of philosophical thought.
- A great philosophical background takes into account a number of metaphysical positions and ideas.
- These 10 philosophy books all take on the questions of existence in a unique and varied manner.
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is updated for the 21st century in a new study.
- Maslow's famous "Hierarchy of Needs" describes different levels of human motivation.
- A new study updates the hierarchy through modern methods.
- The research shows that self-actualized people share 10 specific traits.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.