Energy to an Economy is Like Oxygen to the Human Body
The Chinese smart priority on diversifying their energy portfolio and creating jobs is something that we should match them on, again.
You have a Chinese dictatorship in a foot race with a democracy over who’s going to own the energy future. The democracy was winning and then we got stuck on stupid in D.C.
So the dictatorship in China is now poised to outcompete us. We don't have anything to learn from them about most things. There is something to be said, though, for some level of national consensus building for what used to be called industrial policy. The idea has become a dirty word in the United States, but it’s a common phrase all around the world. The idea is there’s some things in your country that are special and you may want the national government to take a special interest in. Energy is always special to a country. Energy to an economy is like oxygen to the human body. No energy, no economy. No oxygen, no human body.
So energy is special. And my view would be China has recognized that and they have a plan. Now, they have a top-down plan dictated by the government of what to do. We need to put some market signals in place so that we can get some bottom-up innovation so that we can also take energy and climate seriously. I don't think we should follow their dictatorial approach, but their smart priority on diversifying their energy portfolio and creating jobs is something that we should match them on, again.
60 Second Reads are recorded directly from experts in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.