11-29 ISTE conference keynote update - Some backchannel grumbling
Here is the current leaderboard for the ISTE conference keynote crowdsourcing project. Jeff Piontek has widened his lead a bit more over Chris Lehmann. Alan November has claimed the lead in a category and Karl Fisch is pulling away from Michael Wesch.
Does it matter if a nominee nominated himself? Does it matter if family members are voting for a nominee? When by all accounts the nominee is an exceptional educator and speaker, I don't know if these matter or not, but I've heard some backchannel grumbling...
I'll try to post a daily update between now and December 15. Have you voted yet?
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.