Two Galaxies Collide, Creating Space Penguin
The European Space Agency and NASA's Hubble Space Telescope produced this image of two galaxies known as Arp 142 that strongly resembles a penguin guarding an egg.
The European Space Agency and NASA's Hubble Space Telescope produced this image of two galaxies known as Arp 142 that strongly resembles a penguin guarding an egg. What is actually happening is extremely violent, as the two galaxies tear each other apart. The galaxies are 326 million light years from Earth in the constellation Hydra.
See a large version of this image here.
Photograph: Hubble Space Telescope Heritage Team/Nasa, Esa
A groundbreaking new study shows that octopuses seemed to exhibit uncharacteristically social behavior when given MDMA, the psychedelic drug commonly known as ecstasy.
- Octopuses, like humans, have genes that seem to code for serotonin transporters.
- Scientists gave MDMA to octopuses to see whether those genes translated into a binding site for serotonin, which regulates emotions and behavior in humans
- Octopuses, which are typically asocial creatures, seem to get friendlier while on MDMA, suggesting humans have more in common with the strange invertebrates than previously thought
There's a growing understanding that drawing is much more than an art form: it's a powerful tool for learning.
- We often think of drawing as something that takes innate talent, but this kind of thinking stems from our misclassification of drawing as, primarily, an art form rather than a tool for learning.
- Researchers, teachers, and artists are starting to see how drawing can positively impact a wide variety of skills and disciplines.
- Drawing is not an innate gift; rather, it can be taught and developed. Doing so helps people to perceive the world more accurately, remember facts better, and understand their world from a new perspective.
It may be simpler than we thought.
- An analysis of a massive amount of data reveals four new personality types.
- The study is the first to take self-reporting out of the equation.
- The four new types are "average," "reserved," "self-centered," and "role model".
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.