This is Why You Don't Steal a Picasso
Paintings by Picasso, Matisse, Monet and others that were stolen from a museum last year may have been burned.
Paintings by Picasso, Matisse, Monet and others that were stolen from a museum last year may have been burned. Investigators are testing the ashes found in the stove of the mother of one of the Romanian suspects charged with stealing the paintings from Rotterdam’s Kunsthal gallery.
The image above depicts the empty wall space where one of the paintings used to be hung.
While the paintings would fetch tens of millions of dollars if sold at auction, the possibility that they may have been burned testifies to Rule #1 in stolen art. Stealing the art is the easy part. Selling stolen art on the black market, not so easy.
According to the Associated Press, it could take months for the results of the tests to be known. Read more here.
What can 3D printing do for medicine? The "sky is the limit," says Northwell Health researcher Dr. Todd Goldstein.
- Medical professionals are currently using 3D printers to create prosthetics and patient-specific organ models that doctors can use to prepare for surgery.
- Eventually, scientists hope to print patient-specific organs that can be transplanted safely into the human body.
- Northwell Health, New York State's largest health care provider, is pioneering 3D printing in medicine in three key ways.
Beyond Beef sizzles and marbleizes just like real beef, Beyond Meat says.
- Shares of Beyond Meat opened at around $200 on Tuesday morning, falling to nearly $170 by the afternoon.
- Wall Street analysts remain wary of the stock, which has been on a massive hot streak since its IPO in May.
- Beyond Meat faces competition from Impossible Foods and, as of this week, Tyson.
The most valuable college majors will prepare students for a world right out a science fiction novel.
- The future of work is going to require a range of skills learned that take into account cutting edge advancements in technology and science.
- The most valuable college majors in the future will prepare students for new economies and areas of commerce.
- Mathematics, engineering and science related educational majors will become an ubiqitous feature of the new job market.
A recent study used data from the Big Five personality to estimate psychopathy prevalence in the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C.
- The study estimated psychopathy prevalence by looking at the prevalence of certain traits in the Big Five model of personality.
- The District of Columbia had the highest prevalence of psychopathy, compared to other areas.
- The authors cautioned that their measurements were indirect, and that psychopathy in general is difficult to define precisely.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.