Footage of German Army Drone Near-Collision Raises Serious Safety Concerns
A German drone narrowly missing a collision with an Afghan commercial aircraft carrying 100 passengers.
The Federal Aviation Administration has been tasked with fully integrating unmanned aircraft, or drones, into the National Airspace System by September, 2015. These drones will be used for law enforcement, border patrol and a wide variety of scientific projects.
But if drones are to eventually be ubiquitous in our airspace, how will the FAA keep the skies from becoming the wild west?
Consider this picture above of a German drone narrowly missing a collision with an Afghan commercial aircraft carrying 100 passengers. This footage was captured in 2004 but has been released on YouTube.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.