Footage of German Army Drone Near-Collision Raises Serious Safety Concerns
A German drone narrowly missing a collision with an Afghan commercial aircraft carrying 100 passengers.
The Federal Aviation Administration has been tasked with fully integrating unmanned aircraft, or drones, into the National Airspace System by September, 2015. These drones will be used for law enforcement, border patrol and a wide variety of scientific projects.
But if drones are to eventually be ubiquitous in our airspace, how will the FAA keep the skies from becoming the wild west?
Consider this picture above of a German drone narrowly missing a collision with an Afghan commercial aircraft carrying 100 passengers. This footage was captured in 2004 but has been released on YouTube.
The stories we tell define history. So who gets the mic in America?
- History is written by lions. But it's also recorded by lambs.
- In order to understand American history, we need to look at the events of the past as more prismatic than the narrative given to us in high school textbooks.
- Including different voices can paint a more full and vibrant portrait of America. Which is why more walks of American life can and should be storytellers.
A glass of juice has as much sugar, ounce for ounce, as a full-calorie soda. And those vitamins do almost nothing.
Quick: think back to childhood (if you've reached the scary clown you've gone too far). What did your parents or guardians give you to keep you quiet? If you're anything like most parents, it was juice. But here's the thing: juice is bad for you.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.