Footage of German Army Drone Near-Collision Raises Serious Safety Concerns
A German drone narrowly missing a collision with an Afghan commercial aircraft carrying 100 passengers.
The Federal Aviation Administration has been tasked with fully integrating unmanned aircraft, or drones, into the National Airspace System by September, 2015. These drones will be used for law enforcement, border patrol and a wide variety of scientific projects.
But if drones are to eventually be ubiquitous in our airspace, how will the FAA keep the skies from becoming the wild west?
Consider this picture above of a German drone narrowly missing a collision with an Afghan commercial aircraft carrying 100 passengers. This footage was captured in 2004 but has been released on YouTube.
The Russian-built FEDOR was launched on a mission to help ISS astronauts.
Atheism doesn't offer much beyond non-belief, can Secular Humanism fill the gaps?
- Atheism is increasingly popular, but the lack of an organized community around it can be problematic.
- The decline in social capital once offered by religion can cause severe problems.
- Secular Humanism can offer both community and meaning, but it has also attracted controversy.
Picking up where we left off a year ago, a conversation about the homeostatic imperative as it plays out in everything from bacteria to pharmaceutical companies—and how the marvelous apparatus of the human mind also gets us into all kinds of trouble.
- "Prior to nervous systems: no mind, no consciousness, no intention in the full sense of the term. After nervous systems, gradually we ascend to this possibility of having to this possibility of having minds, having consciousness, and having reasoning that allows us to arrive at some of these very interesting decisions."
- "We are fragile culturally and socially…but life is fragile to begin with. All that it takes is a little bit of bad luck in the management of those supports, and you're cooked…you can actually be cooked—with global warming!"