Ever Wonder What A Glacier Looks Like From The Inside?
The photo above depicts a journey through the ice caves below the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, Alaska. The glacier's retreat and rapid melting has caused these caves to form (and collapse) over the past few hundred years. Touring them is an activity not for unadventurous types -- reaching the caves typically involves an arduous hike, sometimes over the glacier itself.
Warm weather has expedited the glacier's retreat and hundreds of feet of ice disappear each year. Barring a shift in weather patterns that would bring more snowfall and less melting, the Mendenhall Glacier will disappear in the next few centuries, so book your tickets today. Be sure to grab some dumplings while you're in town.
For more photos and info, check out this feature in The Huffington Post
Also, read this article about the ancient forest frozen beneath the glacier at Live Science
Finally, click here for time-lapse photos of Mendenhall Glacier's dramatic retreat
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.