This is not the sky over a Tolkien kingdom. This is an image captured over Brisbane, Australia of the Sun and Moon setting together on April 29th. This was the first solar eclipse of 2014, seen as a partial solar eclipse, according to NASA.
The dramatic image combines a series of photos taken around 5 minutes apart with a telephoto lens with a solar filter. The infamous "ring of fire"--the entire darkened Moon surrounded by a bright burning 360-degree halo from the Sun was only visible from a remote stretch of land in Antarctica. (Lucky penguins.) Trudging all the way there just for the thrill of seeing it wouldn't have been much use, perhaps; the "ring of fire" only lasted around less than a minute, as we reported here on Big Think.
Image credit: NASA
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.