Michael Bloomberg Action Plan
1. Expand, improve and invest in national infrastructure. Raise revenue through tolls, taxes, fees, and discuss a role for privatization as well. And work with Congress to reform earmark spending on infrastructure.
2. Legislate the creation of an infrastructure bank that funds projects based strictly on merit. Agree to invest more money in the projects that the country needs most. States and cities must be held accountable for building on time and on budget.
3. Diversify and develop new types of energy production, including nuclear, offshore oil and particularly green power. Develop higher energy-efficiency standards. Raise revenue through a carbon tax or a cap-and-trade system and by eliminating tax cuts for oil companies.
4. Reform immigration. Impose tight border security, create an effective worker identification card for all immigrants, and provide those who are here illegally the chance to earn the right to stay.
5. America needs a complete overhaul of its education system. This will include higher standards, higher salaries, merit pay, tenure reform, school report cards, and a longer school day.
6. Reinstate the estate tax.
7. Appoint a bipartisan cabinet and let both sides enjoy a sense of victory in legislative negotiations.