Has a week gone by already? It is time for another USGS/Smithsonian GVP Weekly Volcano Activity Report.
Highlights (beyond Fernandina, Pagan and Redoubt) include:
- A new underwater eruption at NW-Rota 1 in the Mariana Islands.
- Increasing seismicity and incandescence from the rhyolite domes forming at Chaiten, Chile.
- A spike in sulfur dioxide emissions from Kilauea, Hawai'i to 700 tonnes/day (up from a 2003-07 average of 150 tonnes/day).
- 4.5-7.5 km / 15-26,000 foot ash columns produced at Shiveluch in Kamchatka from new lava dome.
- Continued dome growth and ~6 km / 26,000 foot ash columns from Nevado del Huila, Colombia.