SI/USGS Weekly Volcano Activity Report for 11/11-11/17/2009
The latest news from the USGS/Smithsonian Global Volcanism Program Weekly Volcano Report ...
Highlights (not including Mayon
- Strombolian eruptions and small pyroclastic falls at Arenal in Costa Rica.
- 3 km / 10 000 foot ash plume from Bagana on Bougainville Island in Papua New Guinea.
- Rumbling noises, ~4.5 km / 14 000 foot ash plumes and incandescence were all reported coming from Fuego in Guatemala.
- Steam-and-ash from Popocatepetl near Mexico City reached 7.4 km / 24 300 feet.
- Satellite images of Shiveluch revealed a large thermal anomaly - the new lava dome - along with multiple ash plumes reaching up to 5.5 km / 18 000 feet.