Redoubt on 3/15/2009, from Eagle River overlooking Anchorage. Photo courtesy of Calvin Hall
I'm breaking this out of the comments of the "Redoubt Erupts!" post just to keep things up-to-date.As of now, we know:
- At least 5 explosions have occurred as part of the eruption
- Ash has drifted to the NNE and W - both as seen on radar and as reports of ash falling in Skwentna and the Chuitna area - and so far missing populated areas (see above)
- The ash cloud is believe to have reached as high as 50,000 feet/15,000 meters - prompting an aviation warning/restrictions and cancellation of flights out of Anchorage's Ted Stevens Airpor UPDATE 2PM Pacific 3/23: Some more flight information, including cancellations from Fairbanks as well.
- No images of the eruptions so far, but AVO will attempt an overflight later today (3/23)
- The Hut Webcam is out, but it is not known if this is because of the eruption, snow or even dead batteries. The Cook Inlet webcam is just cloudy.
- The Air Force is only letting essential personnel report to work at Elmendorf AFB.
- No evidence of lahars or pyroclastic flows - so far.