The bible is a blessed tool of our Lord to allow us to justify whatever we want.
Let us work through a few examples:
Mark 9:43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off
- No, don't actually do this. Without a hand you'll probably lose your job and be unable to support the church!
Leviticus 18:22 Do not lie with a male as one lies with a woman; it is an abhorrence.
- This is absolutely true! Male homosexuality is bad...lesbians on the other hand...
Leviticus 19:19 ... you shall not put on cloth from a mixture of two kinds of material.
- Is poly-cotton a sin? Yes! Wrinkle-free blends allow men to survive outsides the bonds of marriage!
Leviticus 20:9 If anyone insults his father or his mother, he shall be put to death
- If only we could still do this!
Mark 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
- Well...um...death is such a vague term. They're not really dead...just waiting for the return of Jesus to rise again.
Luke 10:9 The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.
- Many don't understand that nigh in the old tongue really could mean a very long time.
Matthew 1:22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
- See, this references Isaiah 7, where Ahaz was at war and a baby was born of a young woman (not virgin) and named "God is With Us" - this was a sign to Ahaz. Of course Jesus wouldn't be a sign to Ahaz as he came much later. This is one of those passages where we're glad only about a quarter of Christians read the bible (The Day America Told the Truth).